Sunday, April 20, 2014

My Food-Memoir (First Draft)

I look back on my youngest years and remember daily family dinners consisting of roasted chicken sitting in a pool of mushroom sauce and vegetables with islands of dumplings rising out of the thick salty swamp.  I remember tuna noodle casserole with squares of melted cheddar sizzling on top, frozen chicken nuggets, gigantic pork chops seasoned with a hearty amount of Lawry’s Seasoned Salts, and wing nights, when my father and sister would put down 20-30 sticky barbecued wings each in one sitting.  I remember growing older and realizing that these daily dinners were turning into every other day, once a week, once in a while family dinners.


As family meals grew sparse my independence from the typical American food culture grew as well.  By age 12 I was experimenting in the kitchen with delicacies like curried lentils and rice noodles, and I had built up the idea of vegetarians to an unhealthy saintly standard.  In my mind, vegetarians were animal-loving beautiful activists capable of an insurmountable level of self-control and self-confidence.  They were my idols.  Someone had only to say “I am a vegetarian” and they turned into a god.  If they said “I am a vegan” they turned into the center of the universe.  My middle school years were a blur of days when I declared myself a true-blooded vegetarian, and other days when I realized that there was no real point to depriving myself of meat besides an inflated title and boosted ego.  I had once gone an entire week without eating meat, and then my mom made me stop because all I was eating were french fries and iceberg lettuce.  After that I pretty much gave up the idea of becoming an enlightened earth-warrior bearing kale and quinoa as weapons and settled on the mediocrity of chicken pot pie and pepperoni pizza.  


It wasn’t until my sophomore year of high school that my entire view of vegetarianism shifted from an exotic political statement and representation of someone’s worth to a practical and healthy lifestyle choice. I came to this decision through a combination of short-lived childhood dreams, Robert Kenner’s documentary film Food, Inc., the surprisingly informative guidebook Vegetarianism for Dummies, and a general disinterest in meat and horror of the United States meat industry.  


The first three years of vegetarianism were bliss.  I learned how to cook myself vibrant and fun meals filled with vegetables and grains, how to get the right combination of amino acids from my meals to form complete proteins, and how tofu could soak up pretty much any flavor it was cooked with.  Those first three years I was blissfully unaware that meat even existed; I had no cravings for it, and I was having too much fun making my own meals to go looking for it.  It wasn’t until nearly three and a half years after my induction into vegetarianism that I came face to face with the most viciously tasty meats of them all: bacon.  This came as a complete surprise; when I was little I had always thought bacon smelled like cat vomit mixed with baked beans.  I had rarely eaten it.  


I was spending the week in a retirement community in Florida with my father’s side of the family to celebrate the marriage of my grandpa Tom to Geri, a wonderful, intelligent, and kind woman he had been dating for the past five years.  A few nights before the official wedding and reception, my sister, cousins, and I all snuck out to the pool (which had closed hours earlier) and hopped the fence.  That’s about alI remember that night, and I woke up in my bed with a pounding headache and the distant memories of skinny dipping and riding around the streets in a golf cart.  I slowly got out of bed and shuffled towards the kitchen.  And that’s when I smelled it.  The smokey fragrant smell of the bacon and the sound of its fat sizzling in the pan hit me like a smack in the face.  My mouth started watering and all I could think about was sliding one of those crispy greasy strips of pork into my mouth.  I had never wanted bacon this much in my life.  I spent the morning talking to my father, the heartless culprit who had made the bacon in the first place, and avoided eye-contact with the growing pile of succulent pig bits.  I wasn’t allowed to eat that.  I hadn’t eaten meat in three years, and I was not about to give up that accomplishment in order to fulfill this hangover-induced irrational lust for a bite of seemingly the best bacon in the world.  I was at a cross-roads, each successive thought contradicting the previous and complicating the situation.  I was about to get up from the kitchen table to leave the room when my father abruptly left the kitchen (and the bacon) to go wake everyone else up.  I was left there, stranded, the pile of bacon waiting for my greedy fingers to snatch it up and let the heavenly slice of pork fill my mouth with exquisite and earth-altering flavor.  


Before I could stop myself my feet had taken me to the counter and my hand had seized two slices of bacon.  I devoured it without a second thought.  By the time my father came back with my sister and step-mother in tow, I was sitting back at the table acting as if nothing had happened.  They suspected nothing.  Relaxing a bit, I closed my eyes and remembered the crispy bacon hitting my tongue, overwhelming my taste buds and setting my senses ablaze.  And then I realized something: it hadn’t tasted that good.  In fact, I was now acutely aware of a slimy bacon residue caked on the inside of my mouth.  The luscious smell that had awoken me earlier this morning had reverted back to the normal cat vomit/bean odor, and the glistening pile of succulent bacon now looked only like a pile of fat-smothered pig bits.

I was never going to eat bacon again.

8 comments:

  1. Haha McKenna, the ending is a bit sad, but overall, this is hilarious, especially when vegans were idolized as the center of the universe. I think you did a great job of depicting your change of point of view in vegetarianism with such a great sense of humor. I liked the ending, but I would like to read more about whether there was any change since you came to the college or as you grew older. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey McKenna,
    I definitely want to hear about your golf cart shenanigans in another story ;). The ending bit about bacon is hilarious. Are you still a vegetarian? Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. McKenna, what a great concept for a story! I find your desire to be a vegetarian due to the social status you associate with it fascinating and refreshingly honest. You do a great job painting a picture with your words as well. You can tell that each sentence you use is carefully crafted. I think it could be even better if you worked a little with the very beginning. It was a bit of an abrupt start to the story and I think you could find a better way to pull us in to this funny and truthful story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice McKenna. "...gave up the idea of becoming an enlightened earth-warrior bearing kale and quinoa as weapons and settled on the mediocrity of chicken pot pie and pepperoni pizza." I love this. And the cat vomit/baked beans…great job being specific. I'd love to hear more about why you committed to being vegetarian. And I agree with Emma - the beginning seemed abrupt to me as well. Great job, more to discuss in workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mckenna, wow! I love how well your voice comes across in this piece, as well as the incredible details included. I really enjoyed the line Kat mentioned, and the way you describe vegetarians as "warriors," kale and quinoa as "weapons," and your father as the "heartless culprit." I wonder if there is a way to incorporate a few more images like this? Maybe that's not what you were going for, but I think they were very strong points in the piece and made the whole experience seem like a battle scene somehow. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mckenna, besides the fact that this piece is well written and really entertaining, I really appreciate the contradiction that you put on the table: on one hand the love of meat and on the other the awareness of its unhealthy effects. I believe very strongly that once you get unused to supermarket meat, you cannot like it any more. As for the structure of the piece, well done. It flows fluently and it is pleasant to read. I would maybe shorten the part about vegetarianism (3 paragraphs seem a lot compared to the rest of the piece). Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very well-crafted narrative. I agree with Mallika and Katherine's appreciation of the "earth-warrior" passage. I think your beginning was actually very good; obviously fond recollections of meaty meals are a great starting place for a piece about how you became a vegetarian, and contrast well with the bacon incident.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can definitely smell and see bacons and dinner table. Especially, this part, "I remember tuna noodle casserole with squares of melted cheddar sizzling on top, frozen chicken nuggets, gigantic pork chops seasoned with a hearty amount of Lawry’s Seasoned Salts" makes me hungry! It is lovely to see relating food ethic issue and your appetite. There are lots of topics going on, and these are flow really well. I like the back and forth of your mind set for certain food. Such a vivid, having deep-insight, and humorous piece!

    ReplyDelete