Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Process Writing

Each main writing assignment was very different for me.  The memoir assignment was something that I thoroughly enjoyed writing, as well as reading everyone else's stories.  This type of writing was by far the kind that came most easily to me, and I found the comments from the readers to be very helpful in my revisions.  The restaurant review was something that really challenged me.  I had to completely re-think how I was writing, as well as who I was writing to.  Even though I feel that I have learned a lot about writing for my audience, I definitely need more work in this area!  After my revisions, I thought I had corrected most of my problems that came up during workshop, but I found that I still needed work on my consistency.  I think I got carried away with my food descriptions!  Something that does come easy for me is the creative descriptions aspect of writing, and it was interesting and challenging to try and balance that with creating a piece that was both enjoyable to read as well as give the reader something more than just well-crafted descriptions.

Something that I really enjoyed was hearing everyone's writing!  Discussing their writing brought up things that I believe helped everyone with their writing, and also helped me to understand how readers interpreted my own writing.  This definitely helped me in developing more of a sense for my audience.  Also, the blogging made me think differently about my writing.  Usually my pieces are simply for myself, and I don't have people look over them or put them on the internet for everyone to see.  Blogging them made me realize that if I do want to write (in any capacity, whether it be journalism, research, or other), I MUST imagine my audience, and make sure my point is clear.

I enjoyed this class a lot, and loved the supportive and creative group of people that we had!

No comments:

Post a Comment