Monday, June 2, 2014

The Perfectly Imperfect Meal



“Cook the perfect meal.”  Wait, what?  When first venturing into this assignment, I was a little overwhelmed!  My mind raced through freshly pressed apple cider, hot goat cheese from Mattawan Artisan Creamery bubbling on a stretch of homemade dough smothered in garlic and marinara sauce made from ripened tomatoes picked from a small garden.  As for people, I wanted everyone to come!  I wanted a group of 25 people gathered around on a patch of green lawn, a red- and white- checkered blanket in our center displaying enough fragrant and home-cooked food to go around. 

What I described above did not happen.

Instead I took a hint from Michael Pollan and allowed for some mistakes.  As much as I wanted apple cider that had been pressed only hours before, I had to acknowledge that it is springtime and pressing apple cider is an activity to be done in the fall.  So instead I made hot chocolate.  With non-organic or local milk.  With highly processed not good-quality chocolate chips.  I had also wanted cheese from the Food Co-op, but seeing as I had little time and I have no car, I did not make it to the Co-op and had to settle for Spartan-brand mozzarella and a package of shredded cheese boasting Authentic 5-Cheese Italian Blend.  Now for the people.  As much as I wanted to share a meal with many people, I was not about to cook all of that food.  So I invited the people who have been with me since the beginning—my suitemates. 

After all of these modifications, here is what I got.
At 12:03am on Friday night, my phone timer went off, indicating that my small white cheese pizzas were ready to come out of the oven.  Throughout my cooking session, various residents of Crissey Residence Hall came into the kitchen exclaiming how good the food smelled.  I opened the oven and a fresh wave of roasted garlic, crushed red pepper, and perfectly-baked (if I may say so myself) homemade pizza dough.  I had gotten up early that morning to prepare it and let it rise all day.  It was some of the best dough I have ever made.  I placed the hot mini-pizzas on some paper towel and took the boiling hot chocolate off of the stovetop, which I had added a pinch of cayenne pepper to in order to give it the slightest kick. 

I haphazardly carried all of my ingredients plus my final product from the basement all the way to the third floor.  After nearly dropping everything down the stairs on not one but two occasions, I arrived to my room sweating and tired.  I went to work setting out plates and cups, lighting a few candles, and putting the food in the middle of our tiny dorm-room table.  There were five of us total.  We gathered around the table and I described what we were about to eat. 

I LOVE carbs.  I also LOVE chocolate.  Add those together, plus five college students late at night, and you get my version of the perfect meal.  The hot chocolate was made with milk, chocolate chips, cinnamon, and a little cayenne pepper.  Actually a lot of cayenne pepper—there were some complaints about it being too spicy.  The white cheese pizzas I made by drizzling an olive oil, garlic, and red pepper mixture to each pizza, topping it with mozzarella and the Authentic 5- Cheese Italian Blend, and adding a little lemon juice on top.

The meal was so much better than my initial vision of a group of people singing Kumbaya and eating a plethora of locally- raised and organic food.  I mean, it would have been nice, but it wouldn’t have been my perfect meal.  Actually, many of the sacrifices I had to make didn’t even matter when it came down to sharing an awesome meal with some truly awesome friends.

The point I am trying to make here is that I had to narrow my focus.  Was it really important for me to have a lot of people, or to have an intimate gathering with people who would truly appreciate and honor the food I presented?  Did I want to have the creamy, sizzling goat cheese from Mattawan Creamery?  Ok, yes of course I did, but was it more important for me to have the goat cheese or to spend more time preparing homemade dough that would taste like it came right out of a brick oven in the heart of a small Italian restaurant—and let me tell you, IT DID. 

8 comments:

  1. McKenna, first of all you were not kidding about the taste, I can attest to the fact that it was DELICIOUS! I think per use your voice is strong and evocative. I think it is a bit too informal, for example when you say " When first venturing into this assignment" but I can't say for sure because I don't know how formal this is expected to be. There could be a bit more structure as well, I like the free flowing sense I get but a little bit more organized of structure could maintain the voice and make it more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Emma that parts of this, especially the beginning, felt a bit too informal / self-aware. I also agree that you could maybe restructure it - the conclusion centers the meal around the pizza dough, but the structure / level of detail of the piece doesn't place as much emphasis on that. It might also be interesting if you talked more about your conflicts with the processed food. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. McKenna, I am craving for your pizzas ! (It is dinner time and I am about to cook my perfect meal…)
    About your piece, I love the beginning and in particular, how you describe the gap between your expectations and what you actually did.
    Maybe a short paragraph about the preparation of the food itself (any detail about the dough for example ?) would be interesting. I regretted too the lack of structure at some points, but you wrote this piece very well globally !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi McKenna,
    I love this piece, but my main change would be to stick the 6th paragraph first. The tone in relation to telling us about the assignment seems a little unnecessary, because we want to know what's perfect for you, not what's perfect overall. You could also expand more on the difficulty of acquiring ingredients, because I definitely had that struggle as well, for being college students food is sure hard to get. Can you tell us more about the ambiance of the meal? Was there small chatter going on? Stuff like that will bring a 3-D like quality to the work overall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your description of pizza makes me want to go to back to that day and eat again!! It was so good.
    I like how you change your perspective about perfect meal. The story about your efforts to make a great dough and making spicy hot chocolate were pleasing to read! I can picture you making all these foods. It's all vivid. However, I hope I see more conversation in the part where you talk eating with guests (which includes me haha). Good JOB!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm, pizza and hot chocolate, always a winning combination. I think you do a great job describing the food and your process. I'd love to hear more of your friends response to the meal, or your interactions while you were eating. Also, why was your perfect meal served in the wee hours of the morning? I like the idea, but I want to hear your thoughts behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the food descriptions in this were awesome! I could picture the food and perhaps even the smell of it. I would have liked to know how your suite mates reacted to the food (besides that the hot chocolate was spicy) and a little more about how you reacted to it. You say the meal was so much better than your initial vision, and I would like to know why! I agree with Katherine that I would also like to know the reasoning behind having the meal so late at night, and how that affected the dining experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. McKenna! I love your tone in this piece!! I feel like I am literally listening as if you were talking to me. It may seem a bit informal, but I really think your informal way of speaking makes your voice resonate strongly. I enjoyed your humor of contrast between what you wanted and what you had. And let me add that I loved your sentence, "So I invited the people who have been with me since the beginning—my suitemates." No wonder this was your perfect meal. I enjoyed reading your piece!!

    ReplyDelete