Monday, May 26, 2014

Rustica Review: Part III



When I first decided to conduct my food review at Kalamazoo’s Rustica, I was a little overwhelmed.  I had imagined very fancy attire being needed to go along with fancy dishes.  The truth is, though, when I first walked in, while it was very crowded and a little cramped, the atmosphere felt more familial to me, like this was a place for both fancy dinner occasions as well as comfortable enough to bring one’s family (maybe older children) to.  It is a place that is expected to have delectable food, but the only requirement of the customers is to have a good time.  I saw no one in a black dress, as I stated was an expectation of mine, and there were many ties but also come t-shirts thrown in.  It was daunting before I entered but after dining there, I felt very comfortable and well taken care of! 

In regards to its “authenticity” I am not fully sure as to what it was trying to accomplish.  Its sign states “Rustic European Cuisine,” but even with that I am not sure what it meant.  Europe is a broad category.  I am left with many questions.  Where is the roasted duck supposed to be from? What about the bone marrow?  The asparagus? I really am not sure!  Then again, the restaurant’s ambiguity may be helpful when it comes to issues of authenticity.  It does not say, for example, “Rustic Italian Cuisine,” in which case I would expect more pasta, sausages, and pizza.  In a way, Rustica’s promise of “Rustic European Cuisine” allows us not to dwell on the restaurant’s authenticity, but on the quality of its food. 

From this experience, I will take with me the reminder that food is an experience, and while there are many restaurants that boast “authenticity,” the only way to really get it is to visit the place of origin, which is convenient because I will be able to do just this when I go to Costa Rica in September!  I will also take with me a sense of openness with the food, as well as the curiosity of the food traditions in which the dishes I experience have come from.

1 comment:

  1. It's a good question that you bring up McKenna, about what 'European cuisine' is supposed to be. I like that you point out the generalization does leave more room for interpretation and allows for more variety on their menu.
    I do think it's interesting that you mention you would expect more sausages, pasta, and pizza if the restaurant specified Italian in it's description. But think about how many different things come to mind when other people think of 'Italian food'. Someone who has visited Sicily might think of fresh seafood or Aranchini. An Italian might think of the Panna Cotta her grandmother makes. Each of these dishes is 'authentic Italian food' to each person, just as sausages and pasta might be in your mind.
    My point is that I think concepts of 'authenticity' are entirely subjective and dependent on individual experience and perspective, and even by visiting the place of origin of a cuisine, the perceived authenticity will differ person to person.

    ReplyDelete